Thursday, March 31, 2011

Science!

I've been conducting a very scientific experiment using a sample size of one (me!) I want to see the effect of different nutrition and different training modes using my lifting as a marker for progress. It's all very scientific and I will publish my findings in a prominent scientific journal very soon no doubt and the Daily Mail can pick it up and quote me as saying that weightlifting either causes or cures cancer, (or both as they frequently do).

So you've all seen the effect of project abs: less food equals abs but also less weight lifted. As my goal is to lift more weight, this is not ideal. I know I would probably get stronger at the lower weight if I chipped away at it, but food is too tasty so I'm back up at 62kg and have been maintaining this since project abs ended.

Non specific training: While metabolic conditioning and other such ways of training all have their benefits, none of them seem very applicable to me right now. Having spent years doing non specific interval style training, I find the weightlifting on it's own to be a more efficient and more effective way of making strength gains and keeping fit for meeting any non specific challenges that arise. I believe squats to be the key to this progress.

Cycling: I view this as a way of getting from A to B, not of getting exercise done. However, due to my lackadaisical approach to time keeping, I frequently find myself belting across town as fast as my little legs will go, fighting against the lactic acid building up in my legs. Whenever I take a week off, I notice that even though I'm less hungry, the scales isn't as friendly. I have yet to notice an effect of cycling on my lifting.

And so, armed with this knowledge, I have come up with a very scientific equation to a successful healthy productive life.

Squats + Healthy food x pink leg warmers = Win. 

Last few days of project abs folks. If you intend to donate, better get on it now. Donate here now please Donations are very much appreciated and you will be entered in a draw for a lovely portrait of you or a loved one thanks to the very generous and talented Daire Lynch. (Click this to see his art!)

Here are some training videoes because I got a new camera toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment