Saturday, March 12, 2011

Twelve days later...

So almost two weeks on, I'm managing to hang on in around 60kg, although I'm finding it a bit harder. The body has decided it requires a constant fuel of dark chocolate and cream in coffee and it has a compelling argument. Training's been great the last few days and I've put it down to the extra few calories but it didn't really seem to help testing my lifts too much today. Let's take a look at how I got on...

Saturday 12th March 2011
Squad training at the always lovely East Coast Barbell. (Basically maxing out on snatch and clean &jerk).

Snatch: Warmup felt so-so. Noticed a decline in quality around 45kg but I was still getting them up there. Hit 50kg easy, failed 52kg three times. I could examine all the factors but it just wasn't there today and I knew it wasn't there after the first fail. Unable to disappoint my adoring fans, I gave it socks anyway! Fairly disappointed though as I felt very strong going in today and training's been great lately. I wonder if the pressure of lifting in front of folks got to me as I seem to do better with the snatch in training. If that's the case, it does not bode well for competing and I need to sort that s**t out!

Clean and Jerk: Despite my weak performance on the snatch, I felt fresh going into these. The jerks got better and better as the session went on. Really got into a groove at about 57kg and felt all kinds of wonderful things happen with the jerk that have been fairly rare up to this. I'm always surprised when the jerk goes well and it went really well today. 60kg was so effortless and 63kg (pr +1kg) was the best of the day (based on how it felt and what others said to me). Failed 66kg twice unnecessarily, both due to inattention to the clean really. I consider my clean to be the best thing since sliced bread and take it for granted but I'm going to have to start paying it a bit more attention. First clean was a bit out in front, had to fight it in to place and wasn't set up properly for the jerk, went soft and pressed it out in front. Failed the second clean with some owee feelings in my teres major. Don't think it's anything a bit of rest won't fix.

So based on the performance today and how I'm feeling now, I reckon I've a few more things to work on.
I'm probably the last person that should be diagnosing my weaknesses, inflexibilities and imbalances but here I go anyway!
Inflexible ankles, glutes and hips- especially hips. They hurt a lot from squatting. Relatively weak adductors, upper back- affecting the clean recovery. Imbalance between strong spinal erectors and weak abs. Lazy glutes, not activating.

In response to this, think I'm going to do even more core work, stop dodging my squats and stretch more. Need to get a pullup bar sorted, pullups are the business. I feel compelled to do wallslides and band pullaparts. I'm going to throw in more presses too. Lastly, going to have a chat to the glutes and see what their major malfunctions are. I'm sure they just want more sweets or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment