Thursday, January 27, 2011

What's the point and what's in this for you?

So I've been asked to clarify what the point of this blog is. The idea of setting oneself a personal challenge or a sacrifice for charity is not a new one, for example marathons, climbing mountains, shaving ones head etc. This blog is essentially documenting my "get-abs-a-thon". I have pledged two months of eating a very strict diet (of meat, veg, nuts and a little fruit), training harder and getting to bed early so that all of this is sustainable. It might seem a little unconventional to try to get ripped for charity so maybe I should explain a little more about where the idea came from. 
I have just finished a course in exercise, health studies and personal training and I am eager to put my knowledge into practice. It would be completely unethical to use someone else as a guinea pig in the application of this knowledge and so I am using myself. I need some way of holding myself accountable for my progress and outcome of this personal challenge and raising money for charity seems perfect.
I have raised money for Childline before when I ran the Flora Mini Marathon in 2009 and I believe they are a great charity. I intended to get involved in their collections over Christmas, but never actually got around to it so this is my contribution. 
As well as raising money for charity and helping me to get healthier and fitter, the other point of this blog is to help others along the way to similar goals. Let's just hope I succeed!
So what's in it for you? A wonderful artist that I know has kindly donated his amazing talent to my cause, and by donating to the ISPCC through my website, you will be added into a draw to win a portrait of you or a loved one. Check out other works by the artist Daire Lynch http://www.redbubble.com/people/dairelynch.
So how do you donate? I've set up a secure charity website http://www.mycharity.ie/event/projectabz/ where you can use a credit or laser card to donate. All donations are gratefully recieved and no amount is too small :)

Below are some training videos I have taken this week. Form may not always be perfect, but I'm trying!

   
Hanging leg raises: I need to work on doing these without using momentum.





Rollout using an ab roller.

No comments:

Post a Comment